In August 2017 Long Cane Middle School started it's very first GreenpowerUSA F24 racing team. The team was named COUGAR STRONG RACING and is comprised of 15 students from the 6th, 7th, & 8th grade. During the team's very first race they placed 2nd overall from race & presentation points! Due to the tremendous success of it's first year CSR will be adding a second team for the 2018-2019 school year. Rising 7th & 8th grade students will have the opportunity to apply for the class before the end of the current school year by filling out an application, getting teacher recommendations, and going through an interview if they make it to the final round. In August our new 6th graders will have the opportunity to go through the same process for the remaining spots on the team. Team members will be selected and finalized in mid-August and we will get started. One team will modify and improve our existing race car, and the other will design & build a new race car.
Click here to visit the Cougar Strong Racing Website
The program objective is to advance education in the subjects of sustainable engineering & technology to young people. Greenpower runs engineering challenges for schools based around designing & building a single seat electric powered race car.
Goals of the Program
- To change current views about engineering, presenting it as a fascinating, relevant and dynamic career choice for any young person. The project strengthens college and career readiness.
- To link education, industry and community through inspirational engineering projects.
- To demonstrate the importance of engineering, and associated STEM subjects, to solve the problems faced by societies today particularly in the areas of sustainability.
- To promote social inclusion through engaging with vulnerable and economically disadvantaged young people.
Students can learn valuable engineering & workforce skills, including:
- Computer Aided Design using Siemens professional software
- Mechanical engineering
- Basic electricity
- Basic aerodynamics
- Basic energy conservation
- Basic manufacturing techniques
- Tool basics
- Project management
- Fund raising, marketing, public relations
- Soft skills
For more information on the GreenpowerUSA program, please visit www.greenpowerusa.net